What is a battery?
A battery is a container to store energy in form of chemical potential and release electricity on demand.
Due to the growing market for consumer electronics and demand for electric vehicles (EVs), Major players in Asia, Europe, and the United States are all scaling up lithium-ion manufacturing to serve EV, electronics, and other power applications. And home storage batteries are more and more popular for three reasons.
1. In some countries, the cost to purchase electricity is too high and people want to install solar battery storage systems to lower their bills.
2. The increasing severe weather events on account of climate change often cause prolonged power outages and a battery system can provide instant back-up power for the home or business.
3.There are government subsidies and government incentives.
AC coupled inverter with Pylon batteries in the UK
There are many benefits to installing a solar battery storage system, for example:
1. Reduce cost- save money by using less energy from the grid
2. Reduce peak demand - peak lopping and grid stability
3. Be blackout safe - Have power available during a blackout or emergency
4. Become energy independent - operate off-grid where possible
5. Reduce emissions - reduce pollution from coal/nuclear/gas power generation
It is not easy to choose the right battery storage for your needs because there are many system types or configurations available in the market and each with different performance characteristics. Generally, you can choose according to these parameters, such as cost, storage capacity (kWh), power rating, efficiency, cycle life, compatibility, operating temperature range, warranty conditions, and so on.
There are six important selection criteria.
1. Cost. It is necessary to consider the costs and rewards.
2. Usable energy capacity-depth of discharge. It depends on your household or business electricity consumption.
3. Power output. There are some relationships between the solar battery storage and the solar inverter about the max continuous output and peak output.
4. Cycle life. Battery life is almost always directly proportional to the depth of discharge (DOD).
5. Charging and discharging efficiency. This is the charging and discharging efficiency or losses during cycle use.
6. Sustainability and environmental impact. While using battery storage, it is under consideration such as recyclability, temperature tolerance, and safety.
The commonly used energy storage batteries in the market are lithium batteries and lead-acid batteries, which luxpower inverters are all compatible with. There are 14 kinds of types of lithium batteries that luxpower Monitor System can compatible with as the sheet below.
For lead-acid batteries, it depends on the input voltage range and battery capacity.
If you want to know more about batteries, please click the differences between lithium batteries and lead-acid batteries.
Previous: What is a WIFI module?
Post time: Jan-22-2021